During crisis people need a common ground, a space to live, not merely to survive. A human being is a social being and as such needs social interaction.
We are proposing the Maidan tent: A covered, public welcoming square, designed to host various activities. The Maidan tent is a round, multifunctional space open on every side and subdivided into eight sectors which are zoned in two concentric areas. The center of the structure is an open public meeting place enclosed by a ring of semiprivate spaces where people can gather to pursue their activities in a more intimate public space.
The structure is designed with the following psychological aspects in mind:
- The round shape forms a center and is open to every side, inviting people from every direction.
- Subdivision into various zones make it possible to form various relationships and a sense of common ground.
- The multi-functional public space is flexible and can be quickly adapted to people’s needs. This includes private rooms where to accommodate a medical clinic or just as a dormitory.
The Maidan tent is 4 meters high and has an area of 200 square meters that, depending on the use, can accommodate up to 200 people.
- Quoted Total Cost: $50,000
- Planned Occupancy (1 person/bed): 20 beds
- Estimated Cost Per Bed: $2,500
- Quote’s Total Interior Square Footage: 656 sqft
- Quote Includes # Units: 1 units
- Used for Shelter Before: Not used as shelter yet
- Readiness: Nearly Ready (Prior Use Cases)
- In Stock / Ready to Ship Today: No
- Manufacturer Identified and Available: N/A
- Setup Speed: 32 days
- Setup Difficulty: Moderate (prefab assembly)
- % Built Onsite: 50% – Some Prefab Parts Assembled On-Site/Flat Pack
- Portability: Portable (after major disassembly)
- Intended Use of Shelter: Medium Term (1-10 years)
|Used for shelter before?||No|
|If so, list examples|
|Prior use comments|
|Building experience comments|
|Intended use cases|
|Roof Load (PSF)||35|
|Indoor Clearance Height (ft)||12|
|Professional Engineer Stamp?|
|Conforms to ICC’s Temporary Structure and Uses Code|
|Other Structural / Safety Comments|
|Sustainability / Green Building Certifications?|
|Materials Used / Made of:|
|Disassembly / Assembly Comments:|
|Ideal Mounting Surfaces||Soil (Dirt/Grass), Asphalt / Parking Lot|
|Total Per Bed||$0|
|Total Per Unit||$0|
|Check all items that are not included in your quote (i.e. would need to be quoted by outside party)||Flooring, Foundation work, Lighting, Electrical distribution, HVAC, Toilet / Washrooms, Basic Kitchen, Delivery Charge|
|List outside vendors needed to execute (including any architects and engineers)|
|Possible Delivery Method(s)||Airdrop, Regular-sized trailer|
|Earliest On-site Opening Date||[earliest_date]|
|Site Prep (days)||7|
|Amount in Inventory (#)||n/a|